Saturday, October 12, 2013

Starting Out

So I signed up for this MathTwitterBlogosphere challenge because it sounded interesting... Not that I have time to add any activities to my already crazy life but I just keep doing it and I just keep going! I had no idea that there were math teachers out here in the blogging world, sharing what they are doing in there classrooms and letting the rest of us benefit from it until I starting using Pinterest for school related stuff too. It was then that I found some interesting blogs. And then when I was co-teaching at a Maryland Educator Effectiveness Academy this summer LeeAnn Zlomek showed me some of her favorites and how to follow them. And I found myself interested in this crazy world and wanting to learn more. So that is how I ended up here, blogging as part of this MTBoS challenge. Let me tell you  a little about me...

I knew I wanted to be a teacher from a very young age. At some point in high school I decided that I "got" math and that I wanted to be a high school math teacher. I love little kids too but I knew that as a gymnastics coach I would have the opportunity to work with young kids in that arena so teaching high school would be good. I went to Wilson College, a small women's college in Chambersburg, PA.  After graduating I spent a year working in Admissions for the College and then was lucky enough to get a position as a teacher at Chambersburg Area Senior High School, where I was also able to coach the gymnastics team (my dream job!). I taught there for 7 years, teaching everything from business applications to algebra and stats. Life changes brought me to Maryland, where I was lucky once again to get a job right down the road from my home at Francis Scott Key HS. This is my sixth year at FSK and I love it. The staff is amazing and there are awesome opportunities. I am our Character Ed Chair, advisor to many clubs, and have written curriculum for the county since I started. I work on the Algebra 1 common core curriculum and love how many resources I find on the internet! I also served as a Master Teacher for EEA for the past two summers. Meeting so many different math teachers from all over the state has been awesome!

So that is a brief look into my crazy math world. In addition to everything I do at school I have the most important job of all.. I'm mom to a wonderful 4 year old boy! He keeps me on my toes and makes my heart swell! I hope whatever I get out of this challenge helps make more sense of my crazy math world and doesn't just increase the insanity! Happy blogging :)

7 comments:

  1. Kudos to you, Heidi, for jumping into this challenge with so many other things going on in your "crazy math world"! I started blogging a year ago and love it. Do I blog as much as I wish? No. But it is nice to have a blog there, available to you, whenever you need to share ideas, vent about lessons that went wrong, rant about education topics that make you nuts, or spread love about MATH! Because, really, that is why we are here. I look forward to reading some of your future blogs! Great JOB!!! --Mandy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi and welcome to the MTBoS! I have three children, teach full time, and am fully immersed in this world. So YES, ti will increase the insanity, but in a wonderful way that will actually help you feel MORE sane. I also taught gymnastics for a while, and that led into coaching cheerleading at all of the schools I have taught at. I am so glad that you joined us, and I loved your first post. You sound like a very experienced teacher and I can't wait to see what you have to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how much we have in common! And I have been following your blog already and didn't even realize it! It must be a great minds thing :) thanks!

      Delete
  3. So funny that out of all of the math teachers that are posting that I ended up being 3 below you on the comment list! I am also a math teacher in MD and have also been a master teacher for EEA for the last 3 years! You definitely sound like you are doing a lot, and I look forward to reading about what you are doing in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny...especially since you are right down the road! I can't wait to learn more!

      Delete
  4. Heidi!!! I am so excited that you are doing these missions! I have to warn you though...reading all these amazing math blogs causes loss of sleep! I spend so much time browsing through the writings of awesome people. And you are now one of those awesome blog people!! Loved reading your "story" and thanks for the shout out :)

    ReplyDelete